We support peace and prosperity by building connections, understanding and trust between people in the UK and countries worldwide.
We work directly with individuals to help them gain the skills, confidence and connections to transform their lives and shape a better world in partnership with the UK. We support them to build networks and explore creative ideas, to learn English, to get a high-quality education and to gain internationally recognised qualifications.
Working with people in over 200 countries and territories, we are on the ground in more than 100 countries. In 202122 we reached 650 million people.
Pay Band: Teacher Payband
Location: Napier Road, Singapore
Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract, 2 years
- To promote and ensure quality teaching and effective learning of English.
- To build and maintain the reputation of the Contracts Team and the British Council in general.
- To support the wider aims of British Council and its cultural relations mission.
- The successful applicant will be expected to teach up to 12 hours per week across any of the following areas:
- Language training for adults and young learners.
- Tailored courses (i.e EAP, ESP) designed to meet customer requests.
- Group business or general English teaching (offsite at company premises).
- Group YL teaching at primary and secondary level (offsite at international schools).
- Exam preparation courses (both on a group and 1:1 basis).
- Task based study camp teaching at kindergarten, primary and secondary level.
- Aside from teaching, the coordinator is expected to support with the overall running of the department, including deputizing for the Senior Teachers during periods of absence. Daily activities will involve liaising with clients on contracts, content and scheduling, designing customized courses and developing materials for both EFL and EAL contexts. The coordinator will also be expected to support teachers in maintaining quality in the classroom and take responsibility for operational matters such as resourcing.
- As such, this role is ideal for an experienced teacher or coordinator to gain a wide range of experience in both B2B and B2C contexts across both adults and YLs.
- This post requires excellent communication skills, emotional intelligence and strong analytical thinking skills. Due to the short turnaround for many contracts, you need to be flexible and have a strong can-do approach and positive attitude.
- The Private Courses Team is based at the main Napier Road centre but teachers are expected to work in multiple locations around Singapore.
- Teach a variety of courses in-house and off-site.
- Design and develop materials to suit client needs.
- Assist with editing and proof reading tasks as needed.
- Support the management team to meet monthly income targets .
- Support the teachers to deliver quality in the classroom.
- Complete registers and other administration tasks.
- Write student reports at the end of courses.
- Participate fully in performance management processes.
- Assist in covering classes for colleagues.
- Support British Councils global English strategy by delivering professional teaching to the highest standards.
- Undergraduate/university degree.
- Recognised TEFL-Q qualification,i.e. Cambridge DELTA/TrinityDipTESOL.
- Recognised diploma in EFL/teaching i.e. Dip.Ed, MA.Ed.
- PGCE/B.Ed in Primary/Secondary relevant subject.
- CELTYL / TYLEC.
Role specific knowledge and experience:
- 4 years post-certificate i.e. CELTA/Trinity cert TESOL experience in teaching:
- Adults general English 18+.
- Business English.
- Exam Preparation classes.
- Note a minimum of 800+ hours should be gained from teaching at least two of the following age groups:
- Young learners aged 6 to 11.
- Young learners aged 11 to 18.
- Very Young learners aged 3 to 5.
- Specialist courses such as ESP, EAP.
- Experience of course and curriculum design (800+ hours).
- Private Courses teachers will be expected to work in a variety of offsite locations and will be required to 'hotdesk' when working from a BC centre.
- The working pattern for this role will be Tuesday Saturday.The successful candidate will also need to be prepared to work early mornings and / or evenings. While we try to avoid split shifts as much as possible, they are often a necessity due to the flexible nature of our work.
Closing Date: Sunday, 3 December 2023- 23:59 Singapore Time (GMT +8)
A connected and trusted UK in a more connected and trusted world.
Equality , Diversity, and Inclusion(EDI) Statement
The British Council is committed to policies and practices of equality, diversity and inclusion across everything we do. We support all staff to make sure their behaviour is consistent with this commitment. We want to address under representation and encourage applicants from under-represented groups, in particular, but not exclusively, on grounds of ethnicity and disability. All disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria are guaranteed an interview and we have Disability Confident Employer Status. We welcome discussions about specific requirements or adjustments to enable participation and engagement in our work and activities.
The British Council iscommitted to safeguarding children, young people and adults who we work with.
We believe that all children and adults everywhere in the world deserve to live in safe environments and have the right to be protected from all forms of abuse, maltreatment and exploitation as set out in article 19, UNCRC (United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child) 1989.
Appointment to positions where there is direct involvement with vulnerable groups will be dependent on thorough checks being completed; these will include qualification checks, reference checks, identity & criminal record checks in line with legal requirements and with the British Councils Safeguarding policies for Adults and Children.
If you have any problems with your application please email email@example.com
Please note: Applications to this role can only be considered when made through the Apply section of our careers website. Our ASK HR email is only to be used in case of a technical issue encountered when applying through the careers website. Emails with supporting statements and CV/Resumes sent to this email address will not be reviewed and will be deleted.