Requisition ID: req46854
Job Title: Housing Support Intern
Sector: Social Work
Employment Category: Intern
Employment Type: Part-Time
Compensation: USD 0.00 - 0.00 Hourly
Location: Tucson, AZ
Work Arrangement: In-person
The Housing Support Intern works in close coordination with the Housing and Logistics Coordinator, apartment managers, and refugee families to provide pre and post arrival casework services. The intern will assist in orienting new families to the basics of apartment living as well as housing rights and responsibilities in the United States. The intern will primarily work directly with new families at their homes and in the field, but will also be expected to provide valuable support by completing office-related tasks. The applicant will gain valuable experience working with the refugee community and community partners.
Please note that this is an unpaid position.
This is an in-person position.
- Lead in-home housing education sessions for new families with the assistance of an interpreter.
- Work with new families to complete housing-related tasks such as submitting maintenance requests, purchasing money orders, and paying rent and utility bills.
- Procure and deliver household items and food items for new arrivals
- Set-up apartment for new arrivals
- Assist new families to apply for and transition into subsidized housing programs through HUD, Section 8, and City of Tucson Public Housing.
- Improve upon existing housing resources and develop new educational materials.
- Work with the Housing and Logistics Coordinator to maintain and establish new relationships with apartment managers and housing providers in the Tucson area.
- Support Housing Outreach efforts
Document all services provided using various databases and data tracking systems.
All offers are contingent on successfully passing background and criminal history checks as required by federal and state law or by IRC policy. All interns are required to hold an Arizona State Level One fingerprint clearance card.
-SUMMER: Minimum 20 hrs/wk for 3 months Qualifications
-FALL/SPRING: Minimum 10 hrs/wk for 14 weeks
-Primary availability during IRC business hours (M-F; 8:30am-5:00pm)
-Preference given to applicants able to make multi-term commitment
Reports To: Housing and Logistics Coordinator
- Pursuing degree in social work or possessing equivalent experience.
- Strong intercultural communication skills; demonstrated ability to work effectively with people from other cultural backgrounds.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Understanding and ability to maintain strict confidentiality regarding client information.
- Drivers license, personal vehicle, auto insurance, and clean driving record.
- Preference given to applicants able to make multi-semester commitment.