Requisition ID: req46835
Job Title: Immigration Intern
Sector: Immigration & Citizenship
Employment Category: Intern
Employment Type: Part-Time
Compensation: USD 0.00 - 0.00 Hourly
Location: San Diego, CA USA
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the worlds worst humanitarian crises, helping to restore health, safety, education, economic wellbeing, and power to people devastated by conflict and disaster. Founded in 1933 at the call of Albert Einstein, the IRC is at work in over 40 countries and 26 U.S. cities helping people to survive, reclaim control of their future and strengthen their communities.
SCOPE OF INTERN WORK: Intern will work with Immigration staff to assist with current and new client cases. Intern will provide support for caseworkers/Immigration staff.
- Enter data into Case Management Software (ETO) and other tracking systems
- Work directly with Immigration Staff to assist with case follow-ups
- Conduct research projects to assist with cases
- Conduct research to assist with community outreach and other program development goals
- Conduct administrative projects to support casework
- LEARNING OBJECTIVES:
- Intern will gain a deeper understanding of current U.S. Immigration systems
- Intern will receive training and acquire knowledge of U.S. Immigration application
- processes procedures, as well as eligibility requirements for various applications etc.
- Intern will develop research skills and ability to concisely summarize findings for workplace use
- Currently enrolled in an accredited Law School or Graduate Program; recently earned undergraduate
- degree. Prior volunteer experience with the IRC Immigration Department preferred
- Attention to detail
- Ability to take direction (written and oral) and to complete tasks independently
- Must be punctual and dependable (regular attendance required); Minimum 15 hrs per week
- Prior customer service experience and/or the ability to work well with others of varied backgrounds
- Proficiency in a second language (especially Amharic, Arabic, Burmese, Cantonese, Dari, Farsi,
- French, Karen, Khmer, Mandarin, Pashto, Spanish, Somali, Swahili, Urdu, or Vietnamese)
- No driving requirement
- In-person, hybrid, and fully remote positions available!
- This position reports to the Senior Legal Representatives, Janet Nguyen and Mireya Zuniga