Danish Refugee Council (DRC)is an international non-governmental organization, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world.
Overall purpose of the role:
The Finance Specialist will provide technical support to the decentralization process, ensuring the implementation of new financial processes and tools in compliance with DRC's Operations Handbook, internal guidelines, and donor requirements. The Finance Specialist will be responsible for strengthening procedures and systems for financial management and control, conducting spot checks and internal reviews, and implementing action plans to address weaknesses. Additionally, the Finance Specialist will provide training and on-the-job support to ensure effective budget follow-up, financial reporting, and decentralized financial management processes.
Responsibilities: (in bullet points)
- Provide technical support to the decentralization process, ensuring the implementation of new financial processes and tools.
- Reinforce procedures and systems for financial management and control in compliance with DRC's Operations Handbook, internal guidelines, and donor requirements.
- Conduct spot checks and internal reviews and implement action plans to address identified weaknesses.
- Monitor the use of internal controls and provide guidance to strengthen them.
- Identify risks and develop/improve internal control systems to reduce associated risks.
- Support with the rollout of new financial processes and tools, ensuring proper implementation and adoption across the organization.
- Ensure thorough and effective budget management in the country programs. Monitor budgets, spending, and forecasts, providing support and guidance to project managers.
- Liaise with relevant managers on key financial issues for all programs in the country, including co-funding, financial reporting, key variances, and any corrective actions.
- Provide recommendations to improve budget utilization and cost effectiveness.
- Support timely delivery of quality financial reports to donors and internal reports.
- Ensure compliance with relevant country statutory and other financial obligations, such as tax, and other reporting requirements.
- Provide technical assistance during audits and donor assessments, ensuring compliance with financial regulations and reporting standards.
- Conduct training sessions and workshops on budget follow-up, financial reporting, and decentralized financial management processes.
- Provide on-the-job support and guidance to finance teams and project managers to ensure accurate budget tracking and adherence to financial guidelines.
- Collaborate with finance teams to streamline financial reporting processes and ensure timely and accurate submission of financial reports to donors.
- On request perform any other additional duties assigned by the supervisor(s) to allow the organization to function optimally.
- This job description is not a definitive task list but has been drawn up to clarify the responsibilities of the employee.
Experience and technical competencies:
- At least 3 years work experience in the field of finance/accounting, preferably in an INGO
- Competence in providing technical guidance and training
- Working experience with relevant donors (e.g. UNHCR, ECHO, UNICEF, BPRM and other guidelines)
- Advanced proficiency in Ms Office and Ms 365 Dynamics
- Full professional proficiency in English
- University degrees (Bachelors or masters in accounting / Finance / Audit)
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRCs core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRCs values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
- Contract length: 6 months contract
- Band: G-nm
- Designation of Duty Station: Kyiv with 30% travel across the country
- Start date: January 2024
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Councils Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies.
- All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
- Closing date for applications: 30th November 2023
- For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.