Requisition ID: req46479
Job Title: Roving Monitoring, Evaluation and Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Officer
Sector: Monitoring & Evaluation
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
The International Rescue Committee, one of the worlds largest humanitarian international NGOs, provides relief, rehabilitation and development support to vulnerable people and communities over 40 countries. We began work in Ethiopia in 2000 in response to severe drought in Ethiopias Somali region and are currently providing assistance to Ethiopians and refugees in six regions in Ethiopia, implementing emergency and development programs in health, water and sanitation, economic recovery, and development (ERD), womens protection and empowerment, education, child protection, and multi-sectoral emergency response.
The purpose of roving the position is to coordinate the collection, compilation, consolidation, and analysis of data to supervise project activities and indicators, monitor progress and support impact measurement for the REACH project. S/ he will also conduct development research, engage in reflective practice, and generate lessons from projects/program and prepare MEAL plans for Health and Nutrition components of the IRC REACH project. S/he is responsible for establishing and ensuring better field level data management systems for the core program s/ he assigned to and coordinates the proper and timely evaluation of project objectives. The position holder will closely work with project coordinator and manager(s), front line staff, and partners. S/he also will work closely with the MEAL unit on technical matters and reports to the REACH Senior MEAL and Program Manager. Moreover, this position demands supervising project activities and capacity building to partners and health system staff on EPI program.
Accountability and Monitoring Systems:
- Regularly support the REACH project locations data collection in collaboration with Sr. MEAL through ensuring data collection tools and data quality.
- Support and roll out data collection using REACH CommCare reporting platform and IRC APPs for fosters data analysis.
- Collect REACH routine M&E data, clean and compile the report progress towards project objectives with IRC and donor requirements. Data will be collected on project outcomes and outputs, using developed monitoring tools and digital data collection CommCare Apps.
- Conduct data audits and analysis to ensure high quality data relevant to project indicators, showing targets vs actual that will support program leaders for action and technical support.
- Support and conduct data analysis for quantitative and qualitative data received through different channels and presenting statistics in clear formats to highlight feedback trends to program team.
- Support staff on data management and storage to field staff, in collaboration with IT.
- Ensure IRC global initiatives related to measurement and accountability to enable reporting against IRC global standards and requirements.
Assessment, Learning, and Documentation:
- Ensure assessment and evaluation conducted at field office relevant, timely and quality supported by developing survey tools, data analysis and report writing.
- Attend different program meetings at regional and partners level on project monitoring and learning updates, achievements, challenges to assemble takeaways and develop action plans.
- Organize documents, learning lesson, key findings of monitoring and assessment for programmatic intervention and dissemination internally and externally.
- Track project results, validate and analyses through electronic filing system.
- When appropriate facilitate and participate in information sharing opportunities among IRC offices/partners/donors.
- Conduct visits to REACH project locations and coordination office to provide technical assistance and as well trainings needed in areas of M&E tools and ensuring MEAL system is implemented effectively.
- Conduct training need assessment to build the capacity of partners MEAL and health system technical staff who is engaged in REACH project interventions with actionable training provision.
Perform other duties assigned by supervisor:
- B.Sc./M.Sc. in Statistic, Monitoring and Evaluation and Public Health with minimum of 2 years of relevant professional work experience on monitoring and Evaluation in health programs/ EPI program is preferable.
- Minimum of 2+ years of proven experience with first degree and second degree 1 year preferably in international NGO, in similar role.
- Demonstrated understanding of direct monitoring and evaluation experience, specifically in expanded program of immunization (EPI) in humanitarian and development context.
- Validated experience developing tools and systems for, and building capacity of others in skills related to, program tracking and documentation.
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation methodologies, including logical models, conceptual frameworks, and assessment/evaluation.
- Proven experience of implementing beneficiary complaint and feedback mechanisms.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel.
- Preferred knowledge of mobile data collection tools such as Kobo Collect or COMM care.
- Familiarity with information management systems and analysis software is a plus.
- Effective, high-quality communication, writing, and interpersonal skills are crucial.
Preferred experience & skills:
- 2+ years of experience in managing Health and Nutrition program specifically in EPI program at national level.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills; proven ability to prioritize and deliver on time.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and concise in all communications.
- Ability to manage and work through change in a proactive and positive manner.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with stakeholders at all levels.
- Ability to work under pressure, long work hours, and high workload.
- Self-motivated, honest, highly responsible, and punctual.
Strong analytic problem-solving skills
- Highly proficient in SPSS and Microsoft Office suite
Fluent in English both oral and written, Amharic and other local language will be asset.
- Have willingness to travel 60% to field and 40% office to organize findings and learnings.
Certificates or Licenses:
Certified in monitoring and evaluation and data management will be preferable.