Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-governmental organization that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And its girls who are most affected. Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children. We support children's rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for - and respond to - crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Working in Zambia since 1996, Plan International Zambia’s development and humanitarian programmes focus primarily on Inclusive Quality Education, Skills and Opportunities for Youth Employment and Entrepreneurship, Sexual Reproductive Health and Rights, Early Childhood Development and Gender Responsive Child Protection. Child protection is key in all that we do. Plan International Zambia has Programme Areas (PAs) in; Central, Luapula, and Eastern Provinces including in Lusaka, where the Country Office is located.
Location: Lusaka, Country Office
Reports to: Business Development Manager
Closing Date: 9th November 2023
The purpose of the Business Development Coordinator role is to identify business development opportunities, write proposals and concept papers to donors (including institutional, corporate, multi-lateral and, foundations, etc.); raise fund agreement documents and ensure that contracting is finalized between national offices (NOs) and Plan Zambia; and providing support to grants set up, grants management and compliance.
The incumbent will be reporting to the Business Development Manager.
- In collaboration with the Business Development Manager, Identify and build relationships with relevant stakeholders including INGOs, CSOs, government departments and donors for strategic partnerships on co-funding applications, resources mobilization and projects’ delivery.
- Support the development of opportunities such as Expressions of Interest, proposals, concepts to donors (including institutional, corporate, multilateral and foundations, etc.).
- Prepare and develop concept notes and other write ups including proposals.
- Monitor, document and highlight new business development opportunities to ensure that Plan International Zambia is abreast of new opportunities in line with Plan International Zambia s strategic focus.
- Develop Fund Agreement Documents and monitor to ensure contracting is finalized between National Offices (NOs) and Plan Zambia.
- Provide on-going support to Plan field staff and partners on understanding donor financial compliance, identifying financial risks and other best practices related to grant management and organizational development relevant to Plan Zambia project implementation.
- Ensure that all reporting deadlines are adhered to and reports meet highest standards and quality as outlined in reporting guidelines.
- Support stakeholder identification and mapping to feed into a comprehensive stakeholder engagement strategy.
- Manage Plan International’s internal communications for the country office, exploring new ways to get messages across using social media and online platforms.
- Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding of Children & Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Degree in Climate Change, Agriculture, Social Sciences, Business Administration, or related discipline
- Experience in working with local communities and networking with local implementing partners, and private sectors.
- Understanding of the various Donor rules and guidelines
- Experience in managing multilateral and bilateral donor funded grants/contracts and other fund sources;
- Ability to use Gender Transformative Approaches to development
- Proven experience in proposal writing, concept development, and business cases;
- Understanding of multiple donor policies and procedures particularly ECHO, OFDA, Global Affairs Canada, SIDA, DFID, USAID, EC and UN Agencies;
- Proven ability to develop, drive and support end to end business development processes; Proven results-based client/donor relationship management;
- Solid understanding of compliance requirements of bilateral, multilateral donors and Foundations preferred
Plan International provides equal employment opportunities to qualified and experienced women and men, Women are especially encouraged to apply.
We want Plan International to reflect the diversity of the communities we work with, offering equal opportunities to everyone regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe. This means that we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with and we must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk.
A range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with Plan International's Safeguarding Children and Young People policy. Plan International also participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. In line with this scheme we will request information from applicants previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms their understanding of these recruitment procedures.
Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.
Please note that Plan International will never send unsolicited emails requesting payment from candidates.