Requisition ID: req46391
Job Title: Cultural Mediator-French speaking
Sector: Program Administration
Employment Category: Co-staff Italy
Employment Type: Part-Time
Open to Expatriates: Not Applicable
Location: Milan, Italy
Work Arrangement: In-person
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the worlds worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries, the IRC aims to restore safety, dignity, and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. Since early July, almost 70,000 refugees and migrants have landed in Southern Italy, particularly on the island of Lampedusa, including 5496 Unaccompanied and Separated Children (UASC hereafter). Between September 22 and October 6, 2023, the IRC Italy team conducted a rapid multi-sectoral assessment in Sicily, Calabria, Lazio, Lombardy, and Piedmont to determine the needs and challenges of people who have arrived in Southern Italy by sea in the last three months. Since mid-October, IRC Italy will set up three roving teams to provide information, referrals, and NFIs to people in transit and emergency reception centers.
Are you passionate about helping people in need? We encourage you to apply!
We are looking for a Cultural Mediator with French language skills, who will provide cultural mediation and interpretation services in Milan, Italy. Reporting to the Junior Program Manager, the job holder will assist the IRC caseworker in carrying out outreach and protection activities targeting asylum-seekers and people on the move in Milan. They will also help with data collection and contribute to protection monitoring and assessment activities.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Providing French cultural mediation during information provision sessions and one-on-one meetings with people in transit and emergency reception centers
- Deliver up-to-date and accurate information to people on the move and asylum-seekers about their right to access asylum procedures and available local services.
- Provide information on and facilitate access/accompany to relevant services, including health, housing and emergency shelter services, transportation, police station, etc.
- Translate relevant materials (flyers, messages) in a timely and accurate manner.
- Assist the Case Worker with identifying beneficiaries needs and vulnerabilities
- Support Case Worker in identifying eligible clients and coordinating NFI distributions to people on the move and asylum-seekers in collaboration with local NGOs and volunteer groups.
- Support the Case Worker with capturing the data required for the monitoring and evaluation of the delivered services.
- Any other task assigned by the line manager.
Position directly reports to: Junior Program Manager, IRC Italy
This position is based in Milan.
- Proficiency in spoken and written French, good command of Italian. Fluency in Arabic will be considered as an asset.
- Previous experience in cultural mediation/interpretation is strongly preferred.
- Predisposed to collaboration, problem solving, and ability to create a proactive environment.
- Excellent communication and relational skills.
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact, and diplomacy
- Based in Milan.
Disclaimer Clause: This job description is not an extensive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the position.
Standard of Professional Conduct: IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way our Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Accountability and Equality. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Commitment to Gender, Equality, Diversity and Inclusion: IRC is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, respectful, and safe work environment where all persons are treated fairly, with dignity and respect. The IRC expressly prohibits and will not tolerate discrimination, harassment, retaliation, or bullying of IRC Persons in any work setting.
Equal Opportunity Employer: IRC is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, nationality, ethnicity or tribe, gender, age, religion, caste, sexual orientation, differently abled, geographic origin, marital status, veteran status and cultural background (or any other characteristic protected by law). We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.#LI-GR2