We support peace and prosperity by building connections, understanding and trust between people in the UK and countries worldwide.
We work directly with individuals to help them gain the skills, confidence and connections to transform their lives and shape a better world in partnership with the UK. We support them to build networks and explore creative ideas, to learn English, to get a high-quality education and to gain internationally recognised qualifications.
Working with people in over 200 countries and territories, we are on the ground in more than 100 countries. In 202122 we reached 650 million people.
Purpose of Role:
To lead the development and execution of the Western Europe cluster (which includes three markets: France, Italy and Portugal) marketing strategy and plans for our English Strategic Business Unit (SBU), ensuring alignment to the regional and global marketing strategy and brand, and to work in partnership with the English SBU to ensure that marketing programmes enable required business targets. This role will be accountable for the planning, management, execution and evaluation of plans for the three markets included in the Western Europe cluster, overseen by the Regional Head of English Marketing. They will also provide professional marketing expertise to the English SBU and play a proactive role in the development of English within the country, including business planning.
Strategy and Planning
- Leads the development and execution of English cluster marketing strategy and plans, ensuring alignment to the regional and global marketing strategy
- Leads the development and execution of a cluster go to market strategy and plans for English, agreeing the programmes, delivery mechanisms, budgets and resources with regional marketing.
- Leads the development and execution of campaign strategies to support a variety of routes to market and maximise impact and share of voice.
- Leads the deployment of the British Council brand architecture in line with brand management standards.
- Provides oversight for communications to intermediaries and partners.
- Ensures that clear and consistent marketing processes are deployed aligned to agreed global marketing processes.
- Monitors and reports on agreed marketing KPIs for English in the cluster.
- Oversees the commissioning of market insight to identify opportunities for new product development and proactively shares results with regional and SBU leaders and the Marketing Community of Practice.
Consultancy, analysis & problem-solving
- Applies advanced marketing expertise to develop and enhance English marketing strategies, plans and approaches for the cluster.
- Applies analytical approaches to identify and assess current state of marketing, define opportunities for improvement and design and develop new or improved practice to drive business growth and reduce duplication of activities and expenditure.
- Undertakes expert analysis on options for change, benchmarking contemporary best practice, to support recommendations for change.
- Distils complex concepts and analysis into cogent and persuasive presentations, which convincingly influence decision-makers about the case for significant changes to policy, practice or approach Internal customer focus.
- Makes appropriate linkages to issues across the region, the English SBU and broader organisation, to ensure that the development of country marketing strategies and plans is based on informed business insight and joined-up thinking.
- Consults closely with internal customers and other stakeholders to understand current and future business needs to improve effectiveness and efficiency.
- Identifies and implements new marketing approaches and/or techniques which enhance efficiency and business impact, aligned to the regional and global marketing strategy.
- Leads and drives a clear focus on audiences and market segmentation.
- Provides quality assurance and impact assessment of country campaigns in the cluster to monitor and evaluate impact against agreed KPIs and identifies opportunities for improvement.
- Champions the deployment of the British Council brand architecture, monitors country compliance, and manages interventions to address and resolve reasons for non-compliance.
- Provides expert advice, support and challenge on marketing to colleagues and other stakeholders.
- Develops high quality and effective country marketing plans and solutions using marketing expertise.
- Proactively pursues an annual cycle of formally recognised Continuing Professional Development to maintain and deepen their professional expertise.
Commercial and financial management
- Using agreed corporate systems and processes, plans and manages the budget for English cluster marketing plans and programmes.
- Conducts monthly and year-end reporting on progress against plan and deliverables, budget, and management of issues and risks.
- Actively applies learning from this process to improve financial planning, management and performance within their area.
Relationship and stakeholder management
- Proactively participates in the Marketing Community of Practice and network of marketing professionals.
- Develops peer/personal networks within and outside Marketing to enhance own knowledge and expertise.
- Proactively builds and maintains excellent relationships with internal partners and stakeholders to ensure integrated, joined up and future-proofed approaches and solutions.
Leadership and management
- Plans and prioritises team and own work activities to ensure effective delivery of diverse responsibilities and deliverables over a quarterly to annual time horizon.
- Determines work plans and coordinates input from others (who may be outside the direct management line) to meet specific objectives.
Role specific knowledge and experience
- Significant experience in a marketing position at a national level within a large and complex organisation
- Demonstrable experience of developing marketing strategies and plans
- Demonstrable experience in managing supplier relationships
Pay Band 7 / F
Contract Type FTC for 1 year (with a possibility of extension)
Location France, Portugal, Italy
Requirements Candidates must have the legal right to work inFrance, Portugal or Italy
Closing Date 9th of November 2023
A connected and trusted UK in a more connected and trusted world.
Equality , Diversity, and Inclusion(EDI) Statement
The British Council is committed to policies and practices of equality, diversity and inclusion across everything we do. We support all staff to make sure their behaviour is consistent with this commitment. We want to address under representation and encourage applicants from under-represented groups, in particular, but not exclusively, on grounds of ethnicity and disability. All disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria are guaranteed an interview and we have Disability Confident Employer Status. We welcome discussions about specific requirements or adjustments to enable participation and engagement in our work and activities.
The British Council iscommitted to safeguarding children, young people and adults who we work with.
We believe that all children and adults everywhere in the world deserve to live in safe environments and have the right to be protected from all forms of abuse, maltreatment and exploitation as set out in article 19, UNCRC (United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child) 1989.
Appointment to positions where there is direct involvement with vulnerable groups will be dependent on thorough checks being completed; these will include qualification checks, reference checks, identity & criminal record checks in line with legal requirements and with the British Councils Safeguarding policies for Adults and Children.
If you have any problems with your application please email email@example.com
Please note: Applications to this role can only be considered when made through the Apply section of our careers website. Our ASK HR email is only to be used in case of a technical issue encountered when applying through the careers website. Emails with supporting statements and CV/Resumes sent to this email address will not be reviewed and will be deleted.