We support peace and prosperity by building connections, understanding and trust between people in the UK and countries worldwide.
We work directly with individuals to help them gain the skills, confidence and connections to transform their lives and shape a better world in partnership with the UK. We support them to build networks and explore creative ideas, to learn English, to get a high-quality education and to gain internationally recognised qualifications.
Working with people in over 200 countries and territories, we are on the ground in more than 100 countries. In 202122 we reached 650 million people.
This role will
- Ensure the reliable marking of Speaking tests on IELTS Online and VCS testing
- Ensure regular monitoring of performance IELTS Online and VCS Speaking Examiners takes place
- Ensure appropriate follow up actions and support is provided to IELTS Online and VCS Speaking Examiners/Senior Examiners
- Develop and implement IELTS Online/VCS policies and procedures during and subsequent to the roll out phase of the project
- Report to the Examiner Hub Managers and be part of the Global Exams Delivery Operations Team within the Delivery Function, a key part of the English &Exams Strategic Business Unit (SBU).
- Supervises and controls Examiner marking activities to meet daily/weekly/monthly) agreed delivery performance targets, schedules and deadlines by working with the Support and Operations teams to ensure suitable and sufficient examiner coverage.
- Prioritises work and resolves day-to-day operating resource issues for Examiner Hub team, to ensure high quality, consistent and efficient services are delivered.
- Makes recommendations to senior managers on procedural improvements, resource requirements and other operational initiatives to drive enhance team performance, cost effectiveness, service quality and efficiency.
- Identifies and shares examples of process/procedural best practice with appropriate colleagues in the Marking Function to drive continuous improvement in the BCs operational capability, efficiency and cost effectiveness.
- Oversees the preparation of Reference items in advance of live sessions for IELTS Online / VCS
- Oversees adequate reporting of Speaking Examiner performance in ratings via Reference item system.
- Ensures Examiner compliance with both PSN procedures and VCS delivery procedures by carrying out regular monitoring and ensure appropriate follow up actions and support is provided.
Relationship & Stakeholder Management
- Monitors and reports on the team achievement of agreed customer satisfaction performance targets in relation to marking completion.
- Ensures that feedback is gathered regularly from Examiners, analysed and acted upon to drive continuous improvements in customer experience.
- Reports on potential business development or extension opportunities to Marking Function colleagues to enable ongoing commercial success for the British Council
Risk & compliance
- Uses standardised processes to performance manage Examiners and Senior Examiners to ensure that the team are compliant with agreed policies
- Conducts training for new Examiners as required
- Conducts standardisation for current Examiners as required
- Conducts training for Senior Examiners as required
- Works with partners at IDP to develop and improve VCS and IELTS online policies
Analysis & reporting
- Conducts analysis using a range of standard methodologies and across multiple datasets to provide high quality and evidence-based recommendations on procedural improvements and/or highlight resource requirements needed to enhance operational performance.
- Presents complex information clearly, using an appropriate combination of written, graphical and financial data/analysis, to enable evidence-based operational decision making and planning.
- Develop and use reporting tools to monitor Examiner performance
Leadership & management
- Sets and oversees marking for Examiners, holding them to account for achieving agreed performance targets that are aligned to Examiner Hub priorities and goals. Time horizons are likely to be monthly quarterly.
- Actively applies coaching and performance feedback techniques to maximise
- Examiner productivity and motivation in a high volume/pressurised delivery environment.
- Performance manages Examiners and Senior Examiners.
- May contribute to the development, delivery or commissioning of externally supplied training support to maintain and improve operational effectiveness of Examiners.
- Shares intelligence and ideas to support senior managers in identifying/ developing / implementing new or improved operational plans.
About You (essential requirements for the role):
- A first degree in any discipline and/or equivalent professional experience.
- Good command of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint or equivalents
- Have the ability to work under pressure and prioritise workload to meet the needs of the business.
- Current active IELTS Examiner with substantial examining and training experience.
- Demonstrable line management /performance management experience.
- An excellent certification and monitoring for Speaking.
- Demonstrable experience in conducting training workshops and/or seminars with teachers or other professional colleagues.
- Demonstrable ability to deliver in a pressured environment.
- Demonstrable experience of working with computer systems.
- A recognised EFL qualification at certificate level
- The British Council systems and global processes operate in English. Expert Written and verbal proficiency in English is required.
Desirable requirements for the role:
- A postgraduate degree in a related discipline
- A recognised EFL qualification at Diploma level or above
- Substantial EFL/ESOL teaching experience
- Experience with Life skills examining.
- Experience with other recognised language tests
- Experience of recruitment and selection
- Previous experience as Examiner Trainer for IELTS
- An excellent certification and monitoring history for IELTS Writing
- Role: Examiner Standards Manager(39235)
- Number of positions: 1
- Pay Band: BRC 7F
- Location: Saudi Arabia
- Contract type: Fixed term Contract Local (1 year)
- Closing date: 12th November 2023 (23:59 Gulf Standard Time)
- Salary: Basic Salary: 10815 SAR,Housing allowance: 3000 SAR andTransport : 700 SAR
- Other: This role is open to candidates who are having right to work in located in Saudi Arabia
*Please note that all applications should be submitted only in English.
*It is advisable to apply in advance to avoid any technical issues at the last moment.
*As per the essential requirement mentioned in the advert above, please make sure to include supporting statement, how your experience matches the job requirements.
A connected and trusted UK in a more connected and trusted world.
Equality , Diversity, and Inclusion(EDI) Statement
The British Council is committed to policies and practices of equality, diversity and inclusion across everything we do. We support all staff to make sure their behaviour is consistent with this commitment. We want to address under representation and encourage applicants from under-represented groups, in particular, but not exclusively, on grounds of ethnicity and disability. All disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria are guaranteed an interview and we have Disability Confident Employer Status. We welcome discussions about specific requirements or adjustments to enable participation and engagement in our work and activities.
The British Council iscommitted to safeguarding children, young people and adults who we work with.
We believe that all children and adults everywhere in the world deserve to live in safe environments and have the right to be protected from all forms of abuse, maltreatment and exploitation as set out in article 19, UNCRC (United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child) 1989.
Appointment to positions where there is direct involvement with vulnerable groups will be dependent on thorough checks being completed; these will include qualification checks, reference checks, identity & criminal record checks in line with legal requirements and with the British Councils Safeguarding policies for Adults and Children.
If you have any problems with your application please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: Applications to this role can only be considered when made through the Apply section of our careers website. Our ASK HR email is only to be used in case of a technical issue encountered when applying through the careers website. Emails with supporting statements and CV/Resumes sent to this email address will not be reviewed and will be deleted.