|Office Country||United Kingdom|
|Division||Environment & Sustainability|
|Posting End Date||17/11/2023|
Purpose of Job
The Head of Sector is responsible for ESDs assessments and due diligence of projects and activities within the relevant aligned sector. This involves engaging with and working closely with senior stakeholders of the aligned Banking teams during project development and implementation, ensuring the sector teams active participation in identifying and developing environmental and social solutions and opportunities. The Head of Sector also oversees the delivery of solid and timely assessments of the Banks projects by their team and due diligence and the provision of independent assurance on compliance with applicable policy provisions.
Operating with a high degree of autonomy, the Head of Sector leads and ensures the oversight and independent verification of relevant Bank assessments and approaches related to the sector. Key to delivery is influencing and managing ESDs activities related to that sector, line management of the sector team and coordination of the teams work within the wider department.
ESD works closely and interacts daily with the banking teams and other departments as relevant to drive the shared agenda of sound environment and sustainable development.
ESD is a team of specialists responsible for the environmental and social appraisal, assessment and monitoring of Bank's portfolio of projects and activities in various sectors. ESD is responsible for, and the custodians of, the Environmental and Social Policy (ESP). Main interaction is with the Banking teams during project development and implementation, where an active participation is expected from ESD in assessing gaps against applicable policy provisions, identify and develop solutions and opportunities, and thereby ensure compliance as well as increased environmental and social transition impact, delivering sound environment and sustainable development.
Within its mandate, ESD:
- conducts oversight and verification of the banks approaches and assessments,
- interacts frequently with the Board, banking and external stakeholders,
- is responsible for data collection and data management,
- is responsible for standards and minimum requirements,
- oversees and assesses environmental and sustainability related risk,
- is responsible monitoring, reporting, verification,
- is responsible for the ESP and related policy management and policy development, methodologies and guidance.
The ESD Financial Sector covers the Banks main activities and projects in the non-project finance space with a focus on Financial Institutions/ Financial Intermediation, but also spans financial markets and other instruments. The ESD Sector Head for the financial sector has a particular responsibility to coordinate and liaise with the ESD Head of Policy Management and Policy development due to the specific application of the ESP to the financial sector.
Facts / Scale
- Works under limited direction of the Director, ESD Operations
- Manages a team of up to 6 staff members plus oversight of aligned consultants
- Leads ESD sector related activities - appraisals, due diligence, assessments, sector works and for supporting and lending resources to other sector teams and the policy and monitoring teams
- No budget accountability
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- Responsible for the relationship with relevant Banking sector stakeholders and managing the delivery of ESDs assessments and appraisals related to the sector, including projects and other investment activities, as well as specific sector approaches;
- Responsible for the delivery of appraisals and due diligence, working with the Banking teams and its clients and the oversight of assessments and approaches developed by other parts of the Bank pertaining to the sector.
- Manages the relevant sector team and ensures coordination of the teams work and resource requirements with other areas of ESD, including the other Heads of Sector and the Director Operations.
- Responsible for monitoring and engaging with senior stakeholders in Banking sector teams on the pipeline of incoming workload for the team and, planning responsive resource or delivery solutions.
- Supports the Director Operations in translating strategic goals into the teams delivery plans, overseeing and ensuring effective implementation and work allocation
- Ensures timely provision of support (i.e. resources and expertise) to the policy and monitoring teams, as well as other parts of ESD, to enable delivery of their respective mandates.
- Responsible for the delivery of the sector teams timely appraisals, due diligences and assessments to ESD internal processes as well as input to the overall Bank investment cycle.
- As delegated by the Director, Operations, represent ESD at Board and other fora as deemed relevant.
- Contributes to the development of future ESD plans/ frameworks/ activities by providing recommendations informed by insights around delivery opportunities and challenges
- Actively provides leadership and oversight of all sector projects and ESD activities within the sector, manages the sector teams interaction and relationship with banking and other core counterparts.
- Recruits, motivates, trains and develops staff within agreed policies and practices to maintain an effective workplace capable of meeting its objectives, working closely with other Heads of Sector.
- Directly accountable for the engagement and effective overall management of staff in the sector team including recruitment, performance management, coaching and personal and professional development.
- Champions and role models the Banks Behavioural Competencies and Corporate Behaviours, ensuring adherence within the team(s) so that the highest standards of integrity and ethical conduct are exhibited at all times
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- Demonstrated significant people management skills, preferably in a multi-cultural and geographically dispersed organisation.
- Proven role model for collaboration and delivering effective solutions relating to both people and technical matters,
- Track record of mitigating conflicts and demonstrating balanced and inclusive behaviour
- Demonstrated business acumen
- Proven experience of building strong working relationships with Banking teams,
- Experience of operating with excellent judgement in a demanding client facing role,
- Strong partnership, influencing and client orientation skills at all levels and externally demonstrating positive engagement with stakeholders,
- Experience implementing change and new ways of working,
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Proven strong coaching skill, particularly related to the development of team members.
- Solid understanding, insight and experience with the relevant sector and clients, gained within an International Financial Institution or similar
- Knowledge and expertise of technical environmental/ green and/or social issues,
- Relevant degree or equivalent experience.
- Successfully manage a diverse team in a challenging context, actively mitigate conflicts while acting as colleague and leader.
- Establish excellent constructive working relationship with other parts of the bank while maintaining the highest degree of integrity
- Successfully manage and coordinate flow of resources both between sector teams and between sector teams and the policy, monitoring teams and regional representatives while facilitate personal and professional development.
- Keeping ahead of and up to date on the relevant policy and a sector developments to ensure the teams and ESD remains relevant and constructive in conducting its day to day work.
What is it like to work at the EBRD?
Our agile and innovative approach is what makes life at the EBRD a unique experience! You will be part of a pioneering and diverse international organisation, and use your talents to make a real difference to people's lives and help shape the future of the regions we invest in.
The EBRD environment provides you with:
- Varied, stimulating and engaging work that gives you an opportunity to interact with a wide range of experts in the financial, political, public and private sectors across the regions we invest in;
- A working culture that embraces inclusion and celebrates diversity;
- An environment that places sustainability, equality and digital transformation at the heart of what we do.
Diversity is one of the Banks core values which are at the heart of everything it does. A diverse workforce with the right knowledge and skills enables connection with our clients, brings pioneering ideas, energy and innovation. The EBRD staff is characterised by its rich diversity of nationalities, cultures and opinions and we aim to sustain and build on this strength. As such, the EBRD seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities and works in an inclusive environment. The EBRD encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of the EBRD member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. As an inclusive employer, we promote flexible working and expecting our employee to attend the office 50% of their working time.