The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunities for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and whenever possible for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
In 2003, following the start of foreign military operations in Iraq, DRC became one of the first organisations to provide humanitarian assistance in the country and now operates in 11 governorates, including Anbar, Baghdad, Babel, Diyala, Duhok, Erbil, Karbala, Kirkuk, Najaf, Ninewa and Salah-al-Din.
Overall purpose of the role:
- In collaboration with the North finance team to provide finance, administrative and technical support to Duhok and North Area offices. Carries out straightforward tasks under direct supervision and guidance of the Finance team leader.
- Finance Tasks
- Working on day-to-day accounting functions, including regular cash verification, cash/bank reconciliation, monthly cashbooks closing, advances reconciliation, and timely submission of accounts to the Area office.
- Ensure payments to suppliers and recurrent expenditures are made in a timely manner with the appropriate authorization.
- Control all the supporting documentation produced in Duhok office.
- Brief the finance team leader on matters associated with finance bi-weekly and monthly.
- Ensuring that all payments are finalized within the liquidation period and all payments have been committed within the project period.
- To participate in monthly meetings with the Finance team leader, project team leaders/project officers to discuss key issues, reasons for these, and any required remedial action.
- To collaborate with the finance team leader by providing supporting documents related to Duhok and North Area Offices offices during project external audit and quarterly financial report submission to donors.
- Ensure daily reconciliations between the cashbooks and dynamics has been done and any discrepancies are reported to the finance team leader with a clear plan on remedial actions.
- Monitor the bank balances and ensure that office is liquid enough to meet the DRC obligations to the third parties.
- Compile all the cash counts and payments tracker and submit to the Area office every Thursday evening.
- To work on dynamics payroll scheduling for Duhok-based staff and if needed support the North Area Offices as well.
- To attend program cash distributions for beneficiaries by representing finance.
2. Administrative tasks
- Monitor staff phone bills monthly and follow up on reimbursements from staff for private calls.
- Ensure all utility payments are done on a timely basis.
- Manages filing of office administrative documents.
- Ensuring the office environment is clean and conducive to staff.
- Displays necessary notices and memos on the office Notice board as requested
3. Additional Tasks
On request perform any other additional duties assigned by the supervisors to allow the organization to function optimally.
- This job description is not a definitive task list but has been done to clarify the responsibilities of the employee
Experience and technical competencies:
- University degree in Accounting, Finance, or relevant discipline.
- Minimum of two years experience working with NGOs and 2 years of experience in finance work and 1 year of experience in administrative work.
- Proficient spoken and written Kurdish, Arabic and English.
- Good knowledge of computer skills (MS-Excel, MS-Word, Outlook, etc.)
- Experience of managing and handling cash.
- Experience of working with UN or Non-Governmental organizations.
Previous Experience working in ERP system.
Diploma holder in Business Administration, Finance, or Accounting
- English (fluent)
- Kurdish (Fluent)
- Arabic (Desirable)
- Finance team leader North Office.
- Finance department staff
- Area Support Services Manager
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRCs five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment
Contract Length: 6 Months
Salary Band: I.1
Start Date: 15th of Nov-2023
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Councils Terms of Employment for National Staff.
Diversity & Inclusion: DRC Iraq is committed to promoting an inclusive work environment according to our Age, Gender, and Diversity approach (AGD). We aim to have a more diversified leadership structure creating opportunities for qualified women to take on managerial roles. We also continuously work to make our workplace more accessible for persons with specific needs. We offer benefits related to psychosocial support, health insurance, maternity and paternity leave, child sick leave, and lactation breaks. As part of our commitment to promote equity, diversity, and inclusion, we strongly encourage applications from female candidates, persons living with disabilities, as well as representatives of minorities.
Note: Due to the urgency of this position, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo