With over 70 years of experience, our focus is on helping the most vulnerable children overcome poverty and experience fullness of life. We help children of all backgrounds, even in the most dangerous places, inspired by our Christian faith.
Come join our 33,000+ staff working in nearly 100 countries and share the joy of transforming vulnerable childrens life stories!
Purpose of the position: Reporting to the WASH Technical Program Manager, the WASH coordinator (WASH Resources engineer) is responsible for providing technical designs, implementation and monitoring of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) services within the World Vision Eswatini operating areas. Support the improvement of access to sustainable Water Supply Systems, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) services and all other construction infrastructures in the WV operating areas hence contributing to the improvement of the child wellbeing outcomes. The position will be accountable for the delivery of key performance indicators (KPI) in the WASH business plan on time, on budget and on target. In carrying out his/her work, the WASH Coordinator interacts and collaborates with other technical specialists, government technical officers, cluster managers, development facilitators, partner organizations, research institutions and communities across WV Eswatini operating areas.
- Project, Planning and Implementation- 70%
- In coordination with the WASH Program Manager and Cluster Manager, support the timely implementation of the WASH Business plan:
- Conduct technical assessments, topographical Surveys, mWater mapping, GIS and data analysis of WASH services.
- Plan and organize capacity building programs for community water management, water quality monitoring and response planning, digital mapping of water points, sanitation, and hygiene promotion.
- Support the design and implementation of WASH infrastructure related activities within the WV area programs.
- Ensure program efficiency and delivery in particular referring to cost effective and innovative solutions to accelerate trend of access with analysis of potential and sector environment.
- Prepare tender documents (Technical Specifications, Layout drawings, Bills of quantities (BOQ) and Terms of Reference (TOR) where necessary.
- Supervise the engineering works related to WASH projects in project sites.
- Inspect jointly with partners and communities all WASH Infrastructure before contractors are paid when necessary.
- Provide technical expertise related to the planned WASH infrastructure works carried out in the project areas.
- Ensure that expenditures and budgets are well monitored, and activities are implemented and completed within time and on budget.
- Support preparation and conducting hygiene and sanitation promotion training sessions.
- Development and implementation of water safety plans and risk management plans for the WASH services.
- Ensure that WASH business processes, standards and guidelines related to WASH and construction initiatives are effectively applied in project implementation.
- Ensure that all WASH infrastructure are designed and implemented within the acceptable sector and country standards.
- Ensure critical gaps in information, knowledge and understanding relating to water supply, water safety, water resource management and sanitation and hygiene promotion are recognized and addressed by stakeholders in the area programs and partners
- Draw a capacity building plan and build capacity of area programme staff and communities on Water, Sanitation, & Hygiene (WASH) projects.
- Develop technical resources (e.g. standard operating procedures (SOPs), manuals) to guide area programmes in WASH Infrastructure interventions, drawing from international best practices, along with field specific observations.
- Carry out feasibility studies, water resource mapping, EIA support, Technical Design of WASH and Construction projects as need arises.
- Give guidance in environmental protection and conservation (water shed management and reforestation).
- Support development of technically sound funding proposals and compelling concept notes through provision of information & data and review in collaboration with cluster managers, Grant acquisition other sector specialists.
- Develop clear infrastructure monitoring tools (e.g., checklists).
- Supervise and Monitor Water and Construction interventions in strict adherence to World Vision partnership policies, procurement standards, water quality protocols, Eswatini government regulations and WHO standards.
- Conduct training for water committees to empower them to run their own water supply systems in line with the approved rural water management models for improved governance and sustainability.
- Perform other relevant tasks as assigned
Quality Assurance-Monitoring, reporting and Documentation-20%
- Liaise with the Design, Monitoring and Evaluation (D,M&E) Coordinator, in developing and execution of a monitoring plan clearly showing relevant indicators, data sources for the indicators, tools for data collection, frequency of data collection, use of the information generated from monitoring and clear feedback loop to the Area Manager, Development facilitators and the Technical Manager.
- Conduct continuous monitoring of projects and WASH indicators in the area programs and prepare monitoring report. Based on the report facilitate dissemination to key stakeholders and support in the follow through of the specific actions as generated from the dissemination or the monitoring report recommendations.
- Write and submit quality monitoring/management reports (monthly, quarterly, semi and annually) to the Technical Manager and Cluster Manager in accordance with donors and WV Eswatini requirements.
- Identify promising practices and innovations arising out of program implementation.
- Map all water points and sanitation facilities using technological platforms like mWater. Development of Project Designs and Annual Operation Plans.
- Support Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning team to conduct project design/redesign, monitoring and evaluation of AP WASH projects.
- Document and manage the resources generated from WASH projects monitoring and evaluation for improving future program quality.
- Document and disseminate success stories and best practices on Water, sanitation and Hygiene projects in the ADP.
- Facilitate regular WASH & Construction review meetings for the WASH team as well as participate in the Cluster/AP review meetings.
Networking and Partnership Management- 5%
- Responsible for brokering zonal level partnerships with CBOs and Churches that leverage WVS's technical capacity. Thereafter, initiate mutual contractual agreements and manage the resultant partnership objectively.
- Participate in Cluster or AP level technical networks with a view to profile the operations of WVS in WASH in general.
- Identify advocacy opportunities and engage with the Advocacy resource person to develop tailored advocacy products at zonal level or escalate those that need national intervention.
Coaching and mentoring - 5%
- Provide Coaching and mentoring of Technical Staff in the WASH Technical Program including reviewing their annual Performance Agreements and Annual Appraisals in collaboration with their respective supervisors.
- Representation of WV Eswatini in key WASH and Construction stakeholder forums/meetings at the AP and cluster levels.
- Facilitate community education on Laws, Policies and Standards on WASH & Construction Service delivery
- Provide support to community led processes of monitoring public service delivery.
- Ensure communities are mobilized and participate in their WASH and projects
- Partner and collaborate with government and other development partners to ensure implementation of service models and leverage on construction of WASH projects at AP/constituency levels.
- Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
The following may be acquired through a combination of formal or self-education, prior experience or on-the-job training:
- Minimum Qualification and experience required:
- Bachelors Degree in civil, Water Engineering, Agricultural and Bio systems Engineering, Geological Engineering or any other relevant discipline.
- 3 years experience in WASH infrastructure projects (tender procedure, design, planning, implementation, budgeting, reporting, evaluation and monitoring) and good understanding of current WASH sector trends and indicators.
- Experience working with donors and understand donor requirements and how to meet them.
- A project management background with the ability to implement projects within budget, target and time frame
- Practical experience in managing WASH projects
- Knowledge and understanding of WASH best practices, monitoring and evaluation systems and procedures
- Experience in supporting programme staff and partners to work with communities in a sensitive and participatory manner.
- Able to use AutoCAD, EPANET, QGIS, Google earth, Microsoft and ArcGIS.
- Experience in water resource management - environmental protection and conservation as an added advantage
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, time management, demonstrated leadership and good management ability.
- English communication skills (oral and written).
- Strong detail orientation and negotiation skills.
- Computer literate in Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Experience in working with various major donors and government donor agencies
- Cross-cultural sensitivity, flexible worldview emotional maturity
- Capacity to function well in a team and contribute effectively to team efforts.
- Ability to maintain performance expectations in diverse cultural contexts, psycho-logically stressful environments and physical hardship conditions with limited resources.
- Commitment and ability to inspire others to World Vision Core Values, Vision and Mission Statement.
- Ability to deliver results
- High levels of integrity
Working Environment / Conditions:
Work environment: 60% field based and 40% Office based
Applicant Types Accepted:
Local Applicants Only