|Office Country||United Kingdom|
|Division||Policy and Partnerships|
|Posting End Date||25/09/2023|
Purpose of Job
The Associate is a member of theCapital and Financial Markets Department (CFMD) team, which is responsible for handling all aspects of the development of financial and capital markets in the EBRD COOs including the provision of transaction support, engagement in policy dialogue, and capacity building. The role entails coordination with the CFMD Teams other pillars, as well as many of the departments of the Bank including Banking, Treasury, OCE, OGC, Risk, Credit, and other Policy teams and external engagement with a wide range of stakeholders, including other IFIs, Government Agencies, central banks, exchanges, depositories and settlement institutions, regulators, and supervisors, institutional investors and other market participants. The role contributes to the delivery of policy dialogue activities and technical assistance projects, ensuring coordination with banking OLs in the origination and structuring of capital markets projects with policy components, leveraging transactions to develop and support capacity to implement relevant sectoral regulatory frameworks. The role reports to the Deputy Director, CFMD.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
Diagnostic and analytical work:
- Conduct analysis of financial and capital markets in the Banks COOs, including banking sector soundness, financial stability, efficiency and liquidity in domestic money, foreign exchange, fixed income, equity markets, etc.;
- Ensure the accuracy and consistency of CFMD country needs assessments and other reports;
- Update in a timely manner and help improve existing EBRD databases related to financial sector and capital markets development with particular focus on country assessments, transition assessment of relevant Banking projects and result measurement;
- Contribute to the compilation of detailed information regarding the teams activities to enable quick access to data as well as policy and briefing materials;
- Produce analytical reports that adequately analyse financial and capital market development issues such as the current state of local financial markets in terms of institutions, market infrastructure and the regulatory environment observed during country needs assessments;
- Provide data input and collection from various sources and ensure that feedback received from any follow-up engagement is adequately reflected in final country needs assessment reports.
Policy dialogue and TC management:
- Support the preparation of CFMD teams policy and briefing materials with strong focus on dynamics in the COOs financial sectors and capital markets with the view to developing productive policy dialogue and ensuring follow-up activities related to the teams policy advice;
- Assess and follow up on financial/capital market development needs and reforms of the EBRD COOs to achieve more sustainable domestic capital markets;
- Support CFMD related TC to ensure assigned tasks are managed in a timely manner to meet the agreed requirements and ensure all administrative activities are completed on time;
- Help draft progress and final reports related to TC projects.
Transaction design and support:
- Assist senior team members in designing specific banking transactions with financial institutions, capital market and local currency relevance to maximise the financial and capital market development impact of EBRD investments;
- Contribute to the preparation of project proposals.
- Assist in organising and participating in CFMD related workshops and conferences to strengthen knowledge sharing among the CFMD team members as well as across the EBRD;
- Liaise with other CFMD team members to raise awareness of the CFMD activities, to ensure knowledge gained from various CFMD activities is stored in an organised manner and disseminated effectively across the EBRD to support institutional learning and knowledge building;
- Contribute to development of CFMD internal and external communications;
- Provide support to other CFMD team members in developing relationships with relevant external counterparts and agencies;
- Support senior team members in increasing CFMDs visibility inside and outside the Bank by preparing drafts of articles, presentations, speeches and other materials as required.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- Degree in Finance, Economics, Law, Accounting or related fields;
- Some prior experience of financial markets would be beneficial;
- Comfortable operating in a multi-cultural environment and with an interest and motivation for the Banks mission;
- Strong analytical mind and research skills: an ability to interpret financial data and design/develop models, databases and presentations,must be able to research various financial and capital market development topics with minimum supervision; a curious and analytical mind is needed to question habits and current methods, and to generate imaginative and innovative ideas; must be able to articulate observations and arguments in a convincing and concise manner;
- Strong writing and presentation skills: previous experience in producing policy notes, assessment reports and thematic reports in banks, consultant firms or other international organisations with a development mandate is a plus;
- Strong organisational skills:must be able to undertake multiple and wide ranging tasks concurrently;ability to deliver quality outputs within often tight deadlines; prior experience organising conferences, seminars, workshops, etc. would be a plus;
- Computer literate with excellent Excel and PowerPoint skills; ability to utilize modern tools for agile working and collaboration of remote teams.
What is it like to work at the EBRD?
Our agile and innovative approach is what makes life at the EBRD a unique experience! You will be part of a pioneering and diverse international organisation, and use your talents to make a real difference to people's lives and help shape the future of the regions we invest in.
The EBRD environment provides you with:
- Varied, stimulating and engaging work that gives you an opportunity to interact with a wide range of experts in the financial, political, public and private sectors across the regions we invest in;
- A working culture that embraces inclusion and celebrates diversity;
- An environment that places sustainability, equality and digital transformation at the heart of what we do.
Diversity is one of the Banks core values which are at the heart of everything it does. A diverse workforce with the right knowledge and skills enables connection with our clients, brings pioneering ideas, energy and innovation. The EBRD staff is characterised by its rich diversity of nationalities, cultures and opinions and we aim to sustain and build on this strength. As such, the EBRD seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities and works in an inclusive environment. The EBRD encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of the EBRD member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. As an inclusive employer, we promote flexible working and expecting our employee to attend the office 50% of their working time.