Mekong Economics Ltd. is run by Dr. Adam McCarty who has worked in both the academic and consultancy sector in South East Asia (especially Myanmar and Vietnam) for more than 25 years and is the company’s Chief Economist. MKE is a relatively small operation (8 international and 25 national staff) but has worked on ODA projects for more than 20 years. It is also a growing company that has regional offices in Myanmar and a wide network of associates across South East Asia.
MKE's Young Professionals (YP) program is the perfect opportunity for top-performing graduates from renowned universities worldwide to gain invaluable experience in international development consultancy. As a YP, you will work on exciting projects under the guidance of Dr. McCarty, MKE's Chief Economist, and gain exposure to various sectors while developing essential skills in coordinating with donors, international NGOs, and bilateral partners. You will also be able to take on leadership roles, conduct qualitative and quantitative research, and participate in monitoring and evaluation efforts. The unique experience gained through the YP program gives alumni a competitive edge in future applications, leading to many alumni securing PhD positions at renowned universities and high-level positions in development organizations worldwide.
- Facilitate team organization, coordinate efforts to achieve deadlines, and prepare comprehensive documentation for project proposals and submissions.
- Contribute to successful project execution by effectively communicating with domestic and international partners, as well as collaborating with relevant project implementation agencies.
- Engage in selected projects as a subject matter expert, providing valuable MKE consultancy services.
- Undertake economic and development research on a variety of topics, working both independently and collaboratively within a team setting.
- Aid in the development and execution of targeted training courses on economics and practical policy subjects, tailored to participant needs.
- Carry out additional related responsibilities as necessary, such as editing and proofreading materials.
- Possess a recognized postgraduate degree in Economics, Development Economics, or other development-related social science disciplines from an accredited university.
- Demonstrate an outstanding command of both spoken and written English, coupled with effective communication and presentation abilities.
- Exhibit proficiency in computer applications, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and various statistical packages, along with a willingness to acquire new software skills as needed.
- Prior experience in development projects and research on economic development issues is strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with the operations of multinational and bilateral development organizations, as well as project executing agencies, is highly desirable.