Requisition ID: req42133
Job Title: Safety and Security Assistant
Sector: Safety & Security
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Hagadera, Kenya
The Safety and Security Assistant/officer will assist the Safety and Security officer (SSO) in building up the capacity, awareness, and preparedness of staff to deal with security-related risks, threats, and incidents through the delivery of high quality, regular training/ briefings to national staff and IRC visitors in the field sites when deemed necessary.
The Safety and Security Assistant/officer will support the SSO in delivering the required training to field-based staff, ensuring refresher training are carried out for all staff in accordance with a pre-determined schedule.
- Ensuring that key security messages are conveyed to IRC staff and visitors in accordance with the Preparedness, Prevention, Response and Recovery Plan (PPRR).
- Conduct security briefing sessions to all Dadaab based staff as well as IRC visitors where relevant.
- To develop and carry out a regular schedule of refresher trainings for key staff involved in security and communications (i.e., radio operators, guards, drivers, and other operations staff).
- To conduct visits to IRC site offices in the Dadaab areas, supporting field-based staff in gaining greater awareness and being better prepared in dealing with prevailing security risks, threats, and incidents.
- To ensure that accurate, up-to-date security/communications information is available in appropriate local language(s) to staff in all office locations.
- Provide general support and back-up to the SSO, taking on the Acting the Safety and Security officer role in the absence of the SSO.
- Assist the SSO and Supply Chain Manager/Officer in ensuring that all IRC vehicles, premises, and equipment are compliant with basic security standards.
- Monitor and track staff and vehicle movement in the field and update Supply Chain office and Field Coordinator, respectively.
- Assist the SSO in conducting and maintaining accurate risk assessments of IRC offices and residences, reporting any matters of concern to the SSO/Field Coordinator.
- Assist the SSO in managing the activities and performance of guards and communications to staff to ensure that all duties are carried out effectively and in a professional manner.
- Participate as requested in security-related meetings.
- Actively contribute to information exchange both internally and externally and share with the SSO/ Field Coordinator in timely manner.
- To assist, as required, with the development and implementation of security-related workplans including contingency plans.
- To assist, as required, with incident management and incident reporting.
- In liaison with the SSO and field-based security and operations staff, provide comprehensive, neutral, and non-partisan information on security risks, threats, and incidents.
- Safety & Security assistant/officer will support the SSO in oversight Dadaab program and work closely with other UN implementing partners in Turkana region.
- Liase with government security agencies in security related matters.
- Organize armed security escorts for staff movements in IRC field operations.
- Safety & Security Assistant/officer will be based in Dadaab.
- Uphold the mission, values, and spirit of IRC.
- Follow and enforce all IRC codes of conduct and policies (worldwide and in-country).
- Report any violations to appropriate IRC authority and participate in preventative initiatives.
- Actively seek opportunities that will complement ability to fulfill positions responsibilities as well as further professional development, such as taking part in internal and external trainings.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Must have a Diploma or equivalent in security management from a recognized Institution.
- 2-5 years security-related experience
- Experienced and knowledgeable in security/safety-related subjects, threat/risk assessment, security management, and personal and organizational security awareness
- Prior experience in the development and delivery of standardized training packages to both national and international staff.
- Technical competency and training experience in field-based communications systems (such as HF Codan, Motorola VHF/Thuraya)
- Proven experience of working effectively in complex security environments
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili (written, spoken, comprehension).
- Computer skills (including MS Word, Excel, Access, and internet) an advantage.
- Good investigative and reporting skills
- Able to work with limited supervision.
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Accountability and Equality. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons, and several others.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowance.
Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply. International allowances are not available for this position. Salary and employee benefits are compliant to the Kenyan NGO Sector.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers all applicants based on merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Please take note that the International Rescue Committee (IRC) does not ask for any fees in connection with its recruitment processes.